1/30/13

The Crank Generator....My God!!

And here is what almost 6 hours of work looks like lol.
Silly me for thinking that this was gonna be easy and take maybe an hour tops! Little did I know how complicated this thing actually was, but man did I learn alot just from this part alone.
Pretty much I had to again do a ton of research and trial and error. This time being how to bevel an edge that goes not only sideways but up and down. I found a vid on how to basically make a beveled or rounded corner cube, but alas that idea didnt work, so again back to the drawing board.

So then I remembered how to make spheres in sketchup, but then this is where sketchup's limitations start to show. When dealing with small measurements the program starts to guesstimate, and thats where the first major problem began. The small radii were not making proper spheres, so in the end I had to basically make my own spheres using quarter sections of the radii to make the rounded corners where all the bevels met. So after almost 6 hours of banging my head trying to figure it out this is what the finished product looks like, still not 100% finished, still need to add some other details but everything else is pretty easy. So my final thought are Iam thinking I might be out growing sketchup, unless there's a way I don't know of that's able to measure out .001's or smaller. Definitely a learning experience that's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment